- Conduct self esteem and entrepreneurship workshops for teenage girls.
- Assist in school supply collection and preparing breakfast for homeless students.
- Provide mentoring for girls placed in a residential facility.
- Identify needy families and distribute supermarket gift cards during the Thanksgiving holiday season.
- Conduct an annual suit drive and donate the items to Dress for Success.
- Work with the women in a local homeless shelter.
- Assist in collection of non- perishable food items and donate them to a local church's food pantry.
- Play BINGO each month with the residents of a nursing home in the area.
- Chaperone our annual HBCU College Tour, visiting 7 universities with approximately 40 high school students.
Hey MayaIndia Sweeties! I have been meaning to share some news with you about an honor I recently received. In April, I received an award from the National Association of Negro and Professional Women's Central Nassau Club for Outstanding Community Service. Although I was humbled by the honor, it really is second nature for me to be helping others. As a clinical social worker, my employment opportunities have led me to positions at both inpatient and outpatient psychiatric facilities, teenage parenting programs, group homes and currently a public high school. I get paid to help others and I love what I do. I believe my purpose here on earth is to help people, especially children, because I feel they are the most vulnerable-usually helpless and voiceless. However, this award was not for the services I provide and get paid for, rather it was for the other activities within the community I so love to participate in. As a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated I enjoy serving on various committees that have allowed me to: